Monday, January 11, 2010

Tuna Stir-fry, Sausage & Salami Pasta and Stonefruit & Meringue Tarts

Noteworthy meals from the last couple of weeks (see previous post) have been tuna stir-fry which the kids loved (much to my surprise). Very loosely based on this tuna and pineapple BBC - Food - Recipes: Stir-fried tuna with pineapple recipe from Ready Steady Cook I used tinned tuna, omitted the fresh herbs and ginger (through necessity) and added noodles and carrots. Will definitely make this quick and easy recipe again.
Also a winner with the kids is sausage and salami pasta. All we do is cook the pasta, grill the sausages, fry a small amount of salami and combine with some pesto and parmesan. One block of parmesan has given us 5 pastas and 1 packet of pesto 4 meals so it's been quite affordable. We bought a whole salami which we'll use for 6 meals so it works out really cost effective and makes a delicious meal. We serve it with salad on the side.
I also attempted nectarine tarts with poached meringue topping. Having seen this being cooked once on Ready Steady Cook, I decided to give it a go. Perhaps I should have checked the recipe BBC - Food - Recipes: Peach meringue tart is the closest I could find. Anyway I don't know how they do it in 10 minutes as it took me close to an hour, but the results were delicious! I used puff pastry (note to self – for future reference, cook it on a high heat!), poached nectarines in water, cinnamon, brown sugar and red wine condiment, added them to the pastry and baked them while I poached the meringue. Then I placed the meringue on top and returned to the oven to brown. Hopefully I will find some shortcuts next time as this was too scrummy not to cook again!

No comments:

Post a Comment